What is my essential question that is guiding my research?
Is my topic narrow enough so that I can find the information needed and create a quality product in the time allotted?
Is my topic broad enough so that I can find enough information?
Do the focus questions I created support the essential question?
Click on Creating Questions to view information about creating effective questions.
Click on Essential Questions for a teacher resource about creating essential questions.
- What possible resources might provide information related to my questions? Books? Encyclopedias? Magazines? Databases? Web sites? Almanacs? Atlases? Experts?
- Which are the best resources to use? Are these resources reliable? How do I know?
Click on RADCAB
to learn how to evaluate an Internet web site.
Click on Evaluate a Web site to access a worksheet to help you evaluate the reliability of a web site.
Click on the Reliable Information Sources tab on the left.
3. Locating & Gathering
- Where can I find the resources I want to use, and how can I find information within each resource? Have I used the Table of Contents? The Index? Have I created an effective database or Internet search?
Click on Four Nets for Better Internet Searching to learn how to conduct an advanced Internet search.
- Am I gathering information responsibly and ethically?
Click here to print out slips to collect bibliography information: Citation Slips for Bibliographies
Click here to view an example of a correctly formatted bibliography:
4. Sorting, Sifting, & Organizing
- What is the best way for me to make notes and organize my information?
Print out copies of the JotDot notetaking template by clicking on JotDot.
- How will I share and present my information?
Click on Final Project Ideas for a list of possible projects / products to create.
- Have I answered my essential questions and focus questions?
- What information do I still need to find?
- Where might this information be located?
- Could I organize my information differently to make it easier to understand?
- What is the best thing about my final project?
- How can I improve my final project?
- What is the most important thing I've learned?
Test your information literacy skills here: Information Literacy Quiz